Saturday, June 16, 2012

Downtown Jhunan


I thought I'd give you guys a photo recap of how we used to get to downtown Jhunan. We've since found a more efficient way to get our bikes under the train tracks rather than drag them up and down stairs as you will soon see.


We live in a fairly rural part of Taiwan. Jhunan doesn't have much going on in the way of night life and shopping etc.  This little backstreet pathway was kind of eerie, but also cool.




I saw a cat on top of this shanty next to the path, and tried to get a picture for Katie, but it ran too quickly. Wild cats aren't as common as the wild dogs around, but I've seen a few.



This tunnel thing goes under the train tracks and lets us off on the other side near downtown Jhunan.
I was a little scared the first time Craig showed me this. We went at night and I was fairly certain we would get beat up and mugged and no one would find us for days. It seemed deserted.





This is on the other side of the tunnel. I HATE stairs. I think I was giving a big sigh in this picture. Stairs are everywhere in Taiwan. They don't build out here, they build up. Every fast food restaurant is like 3 stories high.



This is a mural you see right as you hit the top of the stairs.


The tunnel from the corner across the street.


Walking towards the main street....


This is a little corner fruit stand right near the main street in downtown Jhunan, It's always so busy.



And voila! Downtown Jhunan. It's much more impressive at night when all the lights are lit up and scooters are zipping in and out of traffic. We come down probably 2-3 times a week to hit our favorite chicken stand that I'll post about soon. Later!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pic of the cat! You would be all huffy and stand at the bottom of the stairs with your hands on your hips! Haha

    ReplyDelete